Wednesday 3 March 2010

Guesting on a unfished Derbyshire river bags me a 2lb brace!!!

Had a quick hour today and guested a part of a river totally unfished in Derbyshire, i had to pull the right strings to get a session and my God was it worth it!!
I had seen this river for years and it had all the looks of a proper trout run, i cannot mention the river at the moment, now this is not my style but i would not be able to fish it again...
The run is a 100metres rifle tailing off with a single scum lane slowing off at the end, i rigged up a 3 nymph set up and slid into the river at the bottom end, the run had a shallow slow run one side and on one side of the river it had a deep long glide that shallowed up slowly right to the top of the stretch..It looked as good as any i had fished and my heart was pounding knowing what this river might hold...
I started fishing the back end of the rifle, the river bed was sweet and i could trickle my point fly over the flat smooth stones with no snags, i just knew that i would find the Ladies as i moved further up the run, i love fishing new water but with this being unfished it had a extra buzz and i was mad for it....
I soon got the short sharp stop in the line and hooked into a fish, a run downstream revealed a Female Grayling which come to hand and weighed bang on 2lb, now i have been lucky to catch 6 Grayling over the two pound mark this year but this one was in a condition i have never seen, it was absolutley perfect in ever way a grayling should be...I let her drift off and then went looking for partner and after 2 casts i hit into another fish, after a good scrap i landed the male weighing in at 2lb 3oz!!!
Well i was now buzzing, i had only been in the river for half hour and had taken a cracking brace, but what happened next proper did my head in.....
I moved up the pool and my JT indicator stuck dead, i struck hard to feel a snag on the bottom, but then the drag started to click slowly take line off downstream, i was in no major flow and this fish was just hugging bottom and pulling line off the reel, i knew this was a very big fish from the plodding, i thought trout at first but the fight was controlled and slow,my ten foot streamflex was hooped all the way over!! the fish had taken my JT flashback point fly as i saw the other two droppers come towards me as i got some control, i guided the fish out of the flow and this is where it all went wrong, the fish came upto the surface, rolled over and the hook pinged!!! the fish was as long as my arm and i just stood there froze realizing what i had just lost, i had just lost a fish that i would not even dare guess the weight but thats fishing and i will get my chance again...
The best hours fishing to date....
Nice one
Glen

No comments:

Post a Comment